Working with business owners and career professionals, I’ve noticed that few plan for the outcomes they want. Most businesses start out with a plan and some may be reviewed regularly, yet strategic planning to achieve professional and personal goals, is rare. When such a plan exists, it is usually in the business owner’s head. Even fewer career professionals work to their own success plan.
Yet as the saying goes “If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.” Planning is the roadmap to reach your goals. A plan helps you to effectively manage your time (arguably your most valuable resource) and enables you to identify both the actions to take, and what is needed to make your plan work.
This is why it matters ….
- You find you constantly under-estimate how long a task/meeting/journey will take, which causes stress and sets you back for the rest of the day.
- You attend meetings, events and regularly network, but know you don’t make the most of these opportunities.
- You want more time for yourself, but feel guilty when there are so many pressing demands on your time.
- You know first hand that lack of exercise affects your energy levels, well-being and self-image, but finding the time is a real challenge.
- Your relationships are important to you, but often your mind is on work and you find it hard to switch off.
- You would like to eat more healthily but work commitments and lifestyle, make this difficult to maintain.
These scenarios represent just a few of the time challenges people face and demonstrate why committing regular time to plan, is a worthwhile investment. Effective planning reduces stress, increases energy and transforms your focus and productivity. If you notice yourself making excuses through lack of time, the chances are you need a plan that puts you in the driving seat and is based on what is really important, rather than what demands attention.
If you are serious about your goals, take control of your time and value it! The most successful people in life have the same 24 hours in every day. Where you invest your time generates your results!
If this post has made you stop and view your business, career or any part of your life in a new light, I’d love to hear your feedback. You may also want to subscribe to future posts. All are designed to raise awareness and increase your success in business and in life.
With much love,